This is about a bike ride my friend and I made very recently thru some ‘specific’ areas of Chennai city, with a purpose in mind - to know how humans predict and if experience has some role to play in decision making. And we decided to put our predictive capability to test. We were to check who has got a better capability to judge beauty. But beauty is too relative a term that it can’t serve the purpose, so we decided to zero in on the most beautiful (probably) of all - girls. But again there is a problem, how can human beauty be considered especially when it is too relative though some forums claim not. But a solution was found. To know more read ahead.
So what we did was to rate a girl just by looking from behind(well, everyone does that), and predict whether she would be good looking overall on a scale of 10. We both rated her separately, and once we acknowledge her beauty that is once we get to see her face, we will rate her again and put a score after reaching a consensus. To make it clear again this wasn’t an exercise to graduate to a social nuisance, but an experiment to compare our capability to make judgments based on limited information.
We tried to be as genuine as possible so that it is not an exercise to know who wins. Then we checked whose ratings came closer to the consensus rating and after checking out maybe 20 girls it was found that my capability of judging the beauty of a girl with limited information was better than his.
From this I understood that our brain develops some sort of equation or something better than an equation in which it puts different variables and coefficients so that even if the brain doesn't get the value of a particular variable it will give an answer but accompanied by a value of uncertainty. If more of those variables are not fed then the uncertainty value will be higher (the more confused will we be about the result). I think this is the same for all sort of predictions we do with lesser information or with lesser knowledge in hand. I remember when I first started playing cricket. I couldn’t judge where the ball came from (to catch it) but as I practiced more I could easily get hold of it. So what I suggest is get out and look around for more beauties and talk to them so that later it will be helpful to identify the inner beauty of a girl as well…....
2 comments:
Koode undayirunna aal aara ennu oohikkam ;)
Adi onnum kittathathu ningalude bhaagyam :P
20 is just for a number actually we saw just 1 and that inspired me of this thought.
Post a Comment